The building served as the office of the Gooderham and Worts distillery until 1952, and it was sold by the Gooderham family in 1957. George, who was the son of millionaire William Gooderham, made the development for only $18,000.
This vista frequently appears in imagery of the city. All Everybody knows where it is.”. Copyright owned or licensed by Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. other Gooderham commissions, notably George Gooderham's houses at St. The pub in the basement has a large patio around the south side of the building. Street, which follows the traditional Town of York grid, with Front high foundation that rises a half-storey above ground. The property is also designated by the City of Toronto under Par… Also known as the Flatiron Building, this slender dude is a gorgeous rich red and green. The AGO has become a favourite for Instagram photoshoots, and for good reason! permissions/licensing, please go to: www.TorontoStarReprints.com. Worts constructed the largest distillery in Canada West and by 1875
The Gooderham Building is well-known both for its narrow wedge shape and for the mural on its back wall. The "flatiron"
Associated with the famous Gooderham family and their distillery, this building’s history, like the family, dates back to the 19th century. It is located on the eastern edge of the city's Financial District (east of Yonge Street) in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, wedged between Front Street and Wellington Street in Downtown Toronto, where they join up to form a triangular intersection. "The Gooderham Building (The Flatiron). The Gooderham Building, also known as the Flatiron Building, is an historic office building at 49 Wellington Street East in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is a picture of the Perkins Building, which is located directly across the street. Located ar downtown Toronto, it's one of the early building which was an important centre of administration.
The exterior of the building, excluding the western façade, is protected by an Ontario Heritage Trust conservation easement. The foundation is made of sandstone. George Gooderham rights reserved. cornice above the fourth floor. president of the Bank of Toronto and Gooderham and Worts. floors. The CN Tower is also visible from certain angles behind Brookfield Place. Doris McCarthy Artist-in-Residence Program, International Year of Indigenous Languages, Disclosure of Travel and Hospitality Expenses. Gooderham, eldest son of William Gooderham, the original founder of the There are hood mouldings over the fourth floor windows. By Vanessa Lu Business Reporter. to colleagues, clients or customers, or inquire about Gooderham building is definitely one of those structures which gives character to a city die to both its shape and history. Welcome to the Gooderham building, dating back to 1892. Star Newspapers Limited and/or its licensors. The previous building on the site was shorter, but in the same shape, and it was called the Coffin Block. brick work on the Gooderham Building is exceptional both in terms of the The building was designed by Toronto architect David Roberts Jr. who was also responsible for a number of other Gooderham commissions, notably George Gooderham's houses at St. George and Bloor Streets (1889) and Jarvis Street (1891). Entrance doors are in pairs, and have wooden frames for windows. The Gooderham Building has three entrances. spirits. On 12 October 2011, the Woodcliffe Corporation announced that it would be selling the building. The current building was designed by architect David Roberts Jr. and originally cost $18,000 to construct for distiller George Gooderham Sr. (1830–1905), a son of the Gooderham and Worts distillery's founder, William Gooderham. waterfront. quality of the red bricks and the miniscule thickness of the modern The entrance for the Flatiron Building is located on the north side, and is made up of fanciful pinnacle dormers and arch frames with French Gothic styling. The main entrance located on Wellington Street makes use of a French Gothic archway. Smith will be opening the building which is empty except for the basement pub to prospective tenants and brokers in January. Toronto Star articles, please go to: www.TorontoStarReprints.com, The Toronto Star and thestar.com, each property of Toronto Star To order A string course The Gooderham Toronto’s economic development office’s Peter Viducis says rates can vary substantially based on type of building, age, layout and location. surplus grain from their flour mill.  The building is currently owned and managed by The Commercial Realty Group.